Research Project (w11)
October 3, 2009
4Oct – 10Oct
- try to attach the fabric on top of the skeletal structure.
- result is not good. looks like a formal dress from 50s !!!
- what ‘s the innovative way to make a kinetic dress look like a normal dress?
- i found out why i didn’t like the fabric to cover the dress now. it’s the problem of the BLUE Chiffon. the silk is heavy. i’m looking for something light and with nice silver grey color fabric. maybe synthetic organza is not a bad choice.
- glue some Snap Fasteners on the kinetic stucture for connecting it to the skeletal stucture. but they are not good as the Hoops & loops. Need wires to stable them. (when i took off the H&L, i broke one piece of my perspex skeleton. i think it’s too thin and really easy to break.)
- suggestions from supervisor: play with the fabric; layers of fabric — create 3D structure; relationship between the fabric and the skeletal structure ( yeah! ribs! ); the BACK of the dress — create some structure like fins, fishtail (lionfish liked)； Spines come out from fabrics; 3 motors run at the same time, thinking about how to map the data from the sensors.
- power is really important issue for the lilypad, must be < 5v, the same as the HRMI interface, and also the tiny servo motors (TowerPro SG-90 Micro Servo) is 3.0-7.2 V.
- think about how to make the FIN structure for the BACK. (hard -_-!)
- sewing the lilypad and accelerometer, and the battery pad onto the non-conductive felt (Black).
- the sewing thread ( Conductive Thread – 234/34 4ply) should create a meaningful pattern as the Soft Circuits.
- cut the headers of the cables from servo motors, sew the cables to the felt ( +, GND, DIGI-OUT). (spent over 10 hours to sewing these cables).
- sew components to non-conductive felt first, then sew the felt to the based dress.
- the HRMI interface must be portable for testing with the tansmitter.
- problem of the Power: Lilypad 3.3-5V, HRMI 3.6 – 5.5V, servo motor 3.0-7.2 V. Solution is power lilypad by using the lilypad power pad — change AAA bettery 1.5V to 5V output. and power HRMI and servo motors together by 2AAA + AAA = 4.5V.
- also can use voltage regulator, EM01AB LM394017 .
- Snap Fasteners on the kinetic stucture for connecting it to the skeletal stucture are not stable and easily
release. Add wires to stable them.
- desicde to change the fabric color, run to the fabric shop on Sat (10 Oct) and buy new fabric. discuss with the boss of the fabric shop. New materials are: the BLACK polyster for Front, deep Grey for covering the skeletal structure, light Grey for the back. ($$$)
research , reading, writing the thesis
- mapping analog input to digital output (sound / heart rate/ movement — servo motor)
- control multi servo motors
- heart rate convert
- accelerometer + lilypad Arduino （http://www.tigoe.net/pcomp/code/category/arduinowiring/216
- sew the HRMI board & lilypad to the samll piece of felt first, tiny blue LEDs to the skeletal structure
- test one side of the structure, run motor to check the structure and the soft circuit.
- finalize the skeletal structure, calculate the accurate size — layer 2
- attach & sew fabric layer on top of the skeletal structure or goes through it — layer
- finish the Soft Circuits (how to link the cables of the motors to the lilypad)